Saturday, February 19, 2011
One of my favourite sessions every year at the AAHPM Annual Assembly is the State of the Science Plenary session. This year in Vancouver, Drs. Nathan Goldstein and Wendy Anderson took the crowd on another whirlwind tour of the past year's remarkable palliative care research, focusing on eight of the most significant studies. Pallimed commented on several of the studies and the others were certainly retweeted throughout the palliative twitterati when initially published.
If I've missed important commentary on these studies from others in the palliative care world, let us know and I can add links. Thanks to Drs. Goldstein and Anderson for their wonderful review and to all who advance the science of our field with their work.
Here's the list:
- Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, Gallagher ER, Admane S, Jackson VA, Dahlin CM, Blinderman CD, Jacobsen J, Pirl WF, Billings JA, Lynch TJ. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010 Aug 19;363(8):733-42. PubMed PMID: 20818875. (Pallimed commentary here, here, and here. See NEJM editorial here.)
- Abernethy AP, McDonald CF, Frith PA, Clark K, Herndon JE 2nd, Marcello J, Young IH, Bull J, Wilcock A, Booth S, Wheeler JL, Tulsky JA, Crockett AJ, Currow DC. Effect of palliative oxygen versus room air in relief of breathlessness in patients with refractory dyspnoea: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010 Sep 4;376(9743):784-93. PubMed PMID: 20816546; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2962424. (Pallimed commentary here.)
- Unroe M, Kahn JM, Carson SS, Govert JA, Martinu T, Sathy SJ, Clay AS, Chia J, Gray A, Tulsky JA, Cox CE. One-year trajectories of care and resource utilization for recipients of prolonged mechanical ventilation: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2010 Aug 3;153(3):167-75. PubMed PMID: 20679561; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2941154. (Pallimed commentary here.)
- Boyd EA, Lo B, Evans LR, Malvar G, Apatira L, Luce JM, White DB. "It's not just what the doctor tells me:" factors that influence surrogate decision-makers' perceptions of prognosis. Crit Care Med. 2010 May;38(5):1270-5. PubMed PMID: 20228686.
- Ullrich CK, Dussel V, Hilden JM, Sheaffer JW, Lehmann L, Wolfe J. End-of-life experience of children undergoing stem cell transplantation for malignancy: parent and provider perspectives and patterns of care. Blood. 2010 May 13;115(19):3879-85. Epub 2010 Mar 12. PubMed PMID: 20228275.
- Givens JL, Jones RN, Shaffer ML, Kiely DK, Mitchell SL. Survival and comfort after treatment of pneumonia in advanced dementia. Arch Intern Med. 2010 Jul 12;170(13):1102-7. PubMed PMID: 20625013; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2914628. (Pallimed commentary here.)
- Kirchhoff KT, Hammes BJ, Kehl KA, Briggs LA, Brown RL. Effect of a disease-specific planning intervention on surrogate understanding of patient goals for future medical treatment. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Jul;58(7):1233-40. PubMed PMID: 20649686; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2964863.
- El-Jawahri A, Podgurski LM, Eichler AF, Plotkin SR, Temel JS, Mitchell SL, Chang Y, Barry MJ, Volandes AE. Use of video to facilitate end-of-life discussions with patients with cancer: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jan 10;28(2):305-10. Epub 2009 Nov 30. Erratum in: J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar 10;28(8):1438. PubMed PMID: 19949010.